For my photo shoot I chose the Japanese Garden in our Chicago Botanical Garden. I love the look of this style of garden. I took well over 50 photos and narrowed down to these 4. The last from one of the water gardens, I just couldn't resist, these flowers were too beautiful.
I went to the garden with the specific site in mind and my tripod in tow. That is a first, I don't usually cart it around but I am learning that for the sharpness I want it is a necessity. I found that I enjoyed scouting out the subject matter/composition, trying out a few different vantage points of the same scene and just enjoying the time. I wasn't multitasking, I was focused. There wasn't anything that I really didn't like about this photoshoot except that time flies when you are having fun.
My Discoveries:
- I like planning a photo shoot from time to time
- I enjoy architecture, landscape and tying to have the photos tell a story of my experience
- I find that I like looking over the shots in the post process, but am very critical of myself and am afraid that might take away from the enjoyment.
- I also usually like being a little abstract with angles and direction, but did not do that in these photos I selected, why is that?
- What would I change? I'm not sure, but one of the reasons I am taking this course is to build up confidence. With that I think (hope) I will be more creative with my shots.



7 comments:
I am partial to the top two photos. The top one is what I think is a good composition, you are following the water line. All is in focus. The pattern of the circular plants exist. I am trying to learn what to focus on. Do you want everything, or do you want a focus on one part. There is not right or wrong. I am learning this. And it has been a long time coming. Most of this applies to photo #2.
Keep your confidence up. Slowly, but surely these points will become obvious to you. It takes a while to see this for yourself. In the mean time enjoy.
Confidence comes through practice, experience and awareness, and you are gaining all three through doing these exercises. You made some wonderful discoveries in this photo shoot, I'm so glad that you shared!
A Japanese garden is a great place to shot. I love the flowers in the bottom shot. They're so pretty.
I have to agree with you about planning a photo shoot. That has been one of the best lessons for me these last couple of weeks. I'm enjoying your photos here, especially the flowers - such brilliant colors.
Looks like a beautiful location! Lovely photos. I love the deep blue in the sky in the third one and I always love purple flowers! I finally got a tripod and I should probably try to use it more often.
My eye was drawn to he purple flowers against the chartreuse green!! I also love seeing the close-up symmetry of the flower petals.
I really like that top image with the curved line of the water. Isn't it amazing how much you notice when "paying attention". I was kind of surprised at all I noticed on my shoot. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment